This $3000 non-renewable scholarship, funded through the Estate of Joan M. Barnes, is for the furtherance of education of college-bound youth who attend Messiah Evangelical Church. Joan Barnes was a former educator and life-long Conservative Christian, and her only requirement upon making plans for this scholarship before she passed away, was for recipients “to make the most of the educational opportunities that are presented to you.”
Our application process consists of an essay, not to exceed one-typed page, as well as an official copy of your high-school transcript, which you or your parent can request from your HS guidance department. Please begin this application by writing your name, address, and post-secondary institution to which you have applied, have been accepted, and, at this point, plan to attend in the fall.
Your essay should give us considerable information about the following:
- Your goals and aspirations, and how they may have been formed by growing up in Messiah’s Christian tradition;
- What you have chosen as your post-secondary course of study at this point? And why;
- Your involvement in service to others, for example: extracurricular activities as well as community and/or church service, including what you have done and how many years you’ve been involved for each area above;
- If you have been unable to participate in the above activities due to having to have employment to earn money for college, where has your employment been located, how many years did you work, and on average, how many hours per week have you worked there?
- Please feel free to add additional comments to support your application.
The deadline for 2019 is RECEIPT of your application by 3PM on Monday, May 20th, or your application will not be considered. Please mail your Essay and a Copy of your Official High School Transcript to: Church Office, Messiah Lutheran Church, 8154 Atlee Road, Mechanicsville, VA 23111. You may also drop it off at the church office between 8:00 AM-3 PM on Mon. through Thurs. (Please write “Scholarship Application” on the envelope if you are mailing it.) The scholarship recipient(s) will be announced at the church picnic on June 2, 2019.
If the guidance office won’t give the transcript directly to you or your parent, please have them mail it directly to our church office at the above address to be received by the deadline.
Please note: The award money will be sent directly to your post-secondary institution for the second-semester of your first year, or in the case of someone already enrolled in an undergraduate program, for the upcoming first semester.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Sally Bennett, Bob Griffin, and Debbie Walker
Messiah Lutheran Scholarship Committee